Each month, TAP will be profiling one of our amazing members! This month’s member of the month is Benjamin Yen!
1. Tell us about yourself! It can be about anything – where you grew up, your professional background, your hobbies
I came from Taipei, spent middle school in Vancouver, Canada, finished college in Seattle (U Wash Huskies), and am currently pursuing my PhD in NYC! (as a courtesy, you should not ask what year I am in my PhD. It’s a sad topic).
2. Why did you join TAP? What are your favorite events?
I joined TAP initially to hang out with other Taiwanese /Taiwanese Americans (there’s few in my school). It’s a very welcoming group of people. I have to say my favorite TAP event is the nightmarket. I was lucky enough to convince Viv and Alex to let me have my own food station (yes, the (almost) PhD Sausages was my friends and my station)
3. Tell us something cool that happened to you this past year.
Something cool that happened to me this past year was that I did a west coast trip along the pacific coast highway. It was a ton of fun. It was a nice getaway in the midst of all the scientific obligations I have and great escape from this past harsh NYC winter.
4. If we wanted to hang out, where would we find you?
TAP events. No, seriously. Because all of the other time I am in my lab.
5. What’s your advice for any newer members who want to get more involved
Sign up for events like those related to sports and volunteering. TAP people always welcome new faces with open arms and often times go out of their way to introduce themselves to new faces. TAP is a very good place to build connections and make everyone not feel too lonely in this gigantic city!